Thursday, September 24, 2009

"C.K. Dexter Haven, you have unsuspected depth!"

Okay, I know I said I wouldn't add any more segments, but I lied. Next up is spotlight on an actor and there's a very special actor whose birthday is next week and I want to reserve that segment for that occasion. Besides, I had forgotten to add this segment so here it is: spotlight on a scene. I already have spotlight on a song, but songs are different than scenes. It's hard to compare the two. There are different things one looks for in each.

Anyway, all this to say, I'm adding spotlight on a scene as well. Today: James Stewart and Cary Grant in The Philadelphia Story (1940). Everyone in the film is top notch, James Stewart's acting won him an Oscar, and the movie is delightful from start to finish. My favorite scene in the movie is when Macaulay Connor (Stewart) visits C.K. Dexter Haven (Grant), drunk, after leaving the party. The scene is cleverly done with one-liners, hilarious dialogue, and even a bit of improvisation thrown in (when Stewart hiccups, Grant says, "excuse me," which wasn't scripted). I highly recommend the movie if you haven't seen it. It's one of those movies that I watch and say, "I'd forgotten how much I love this movie" every time I see it.



I'd love to hear your thoughts on this scene. Or, if you have yet to see it then I would also love to hear your guesses on who my spotlight will be next week!

Connor: I bring you greetings. Cinderella's slipper: it's called "Champagne." Champagne is a great levellallah... levellary... it makes you my equal.
Haven: Well, I wouldn't quite say that.
Connor: Well, almost my equal.

1 comment:

  1. Oh C.K.Dexter Haaaaaaaaven! Love this movie. Never gets old.

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!