Wednesday, September 22, 2010

I'm feeling absolutely sklonklish!

I'm back, baby doll! Hopefully. Emma Wallace left a very kind note on my quotes post, asking me to come back. I was very touched! So, here I am! Every time I start getting back into the swing of things, I get slammed with a crazy week and then it all collapses. So frustrating.

Anyway, today I'm going to do a 100 movies post. A good while ago, I did a quotes post with this quote:
"Good work, Junior! Better than working for a living!"
Emma was the only one to guess and get the answer to this one - the movie is The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer (1947) starring Cary Grant, Myrna Loy, and Shirley Temple. Which just so happens to be #32 on my count-up!

The film is pretty wacky so bear with me on this one. Bachelor Richard Nugent (Grant) has a tendency to attract trouble - not that he causes any and when he is brought before Judge Margaret Turner (Loy), he finds her narrow view of the facts rather frosty. But when Richard speaks at Margaret's sister's school, that's when the trouble really begins because Susan (Temple) falls head-over-heels for him! And when Susan sneaks up to Richard's apartment, claiming that he asked her to model for him, he finds himself in a pretty tricky situation.


Like I said, pretty wacky. I remember lending this one to my aunt and she returned it saying that it was a little "unrealistic." Well, of course it is! That's what makes it so fun! No one would ever actually sentence a bachelor to date a teenager in order to get him out of her system (this movie would really never work today). But, in the movies, it's fun! Especially with such a stellar cast.

As an adoring Shirley Temple fan, this is one of my favorites. The film was the studio's attempts to bring her back into the limelight. I really wish it had worked because I think she is fantastic in this one. (Plus, she's absolutely adorable - but in a different way. Check out her outfit in the clip below and her hair in this photo. How cute is she?)



And then, of course, you have the wonderful pairing of Cary Grant and Myrna Loy and they're wonderful. The storyline causes their relationship to be a little odd but I think they really make it work. I really enjoy Grant's humorous charm and Loy's wry skepticism. So much fun!

I really recommend you check the movie out for yourself but if you're not convinced yet, I'll post my favorite scene below to whet your appetite:



P.S. I feel that I should apologize for actually misquoting my own quote of the week. The original quote, now that I think of it, is actually, "Good for you, Junior!" not "Good work, Junior!"

3 comments:

  1. I was trying to find a clip of the "You remind me of a man" thing and came across this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ThmsCq1QIA It cracks me up everytime!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...my daughter has this one on DVD - she is a Cary fan,,, and I am becoming a Myrna fan, so there you go... and yes, Shirley is VERY cute in this one - weird she didn't 'sustain' her popularity, although it is obvious everyone 'rejected' the 'grown-up' Shirley... maybe they should have changed her name and everything, and not told folks it was her... would have been an interesting experiment, cause she seemed quite good in the movies I have seen her in - of course, 'I'll Be Seeing You' is a big one for me...

    ok - great to have you rolling again, Sally! Look forward to your reviews - I am making a concerted effort to catch as many old classics as possible...

    KIG!
    VKMfanHuey
    ---

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer. Shirley is very cute in it, and Cary Grant and Myrna Loy are great together.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!