Saturday, March 17, 2012

I'll be truly as American as Irish Stew!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Naturally, as it's lucky St. Paddy's Day, it's the perfect time to post a video of an Irish performance. In the past, I've shown clips of the lovely Maureen O'Hara or Gene Kelly singing about the hat his dear old father wore upon St. Patrick's Day. Both are marvelous Irish traditions, but one of my favorites is Tommy Steele's performance as John Lawless, the Irish butler in The Happiest Millionaire. So, here is "I'll Always Be Irish" by Richard and Robert Sherman. I love the lyrics in this one! So cute! I also love the philosophy behind it, that having an identity (in this instance, being an American) is "adding something; it isn't subtracting." Those guys, I tell you. Geniuses.



To be completely honest, this isn't my favorite Disney live action film. It's really weird. And when watching it, I was a little confused as to who the main character was supposed to be; the plot was so convoluted and drawn out. But, for all of that, the songs are fantastic. Other favorites include "Fortuosity" and "Let's Have a Drink On It" (which I get stuck in my head all the time!).

1 comment:

  1. A little late but love it! Sometimes (often!) the songs make the movie, don't they?

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!