Friday, January 19, 2018

Next thing I know, I'm a councilman

So, I think I've done a fairly good job of keeping politics out of my blog. I don't know if that will continue - mostly because I don't know if I need to keep politics out of my blog. I have some ideas of things I want to discuss and how they relate to classic movies and the movie industry in general. I'm letting these ideas stew a bit before I put them on the blogosphere.

Anyway, this is a big year in politics: midterm elections! Last year around this time, I started thinking about running for office. It's something I still think about, although I don't know if I'd be cut out for fundraising and campaigning. Maybe someday. This year, I'm planning to volunteer with a campaign and see what that's like. There are a lot of up-and-comers running this year. It's pretty exciting. Last year, I kept feeling so powerless and wanting to do something. I'm glad other people felt the same and have acted on those feelings.

When I was doing my preliminary research about running for office, I kept thinking of Dave (1993). Do you all remember that one? I love that movie. I realize a movie from the '90s may not constitute as classic but it's a fantastic movie so I'm going to base my spotlight on a scene post on it. There's this wonderful scene between the main character, Dave (played by Kevin Kline), and the Vice President (Ben Kingsley) where Dave asks the Vice President how he got started in politics. What follows is a scene that probably could have been bland but Ben Kingsley's performance of it has stuck with me since I was a teenager.




1 comment:

  1. I remember Dave and thinking how young he was to be President; usually Presidents were depicted as older men. And also I think Tip O'Neill has a cameo in it too.

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!