Friday, November 24, 2017

A meal fit for Rossano Brazzi

I realize everyone is still eating Thanksgiving leftovers today but it's Foodie Friday and the show must go on!

Says the girl who basically skipped yesterday. It's fine. You were busy too.

In continuation of my Dick van Dyke show theme of this week (yeah, I'd almost forgotten it too), here's the meal I cooked up this week that was inspired by a meal on the show:

Spaghetti and Meatballs!




Rob and Laura eat a lot of meals in the show. Considering the fact that Laura is a housewife who is a famously good cook, it's not exactly surprising. What I enjoy, however, is how often their food plays into the plot or character development of the show - dating back to the pilot episode, where Laura proves to Rob that she very much intends to stay home by cooking liver for herself and pointedly leaving a liver for Rob out of the frying pan. A fight over liver ensues.

In "The Night the Roof Fell In," Rob and Laura have a tremendous fight. The next day, they're both determined to make up that they independently plan to surprise the other with their favorite meal. What I cooked is Rob's favorite: spaghetti and meatballs. I did a couple of things differently for mine: my mom used to make spaghetti with angel hair pasta rather than spaghetti pasta, so I prefer that. I've also been trying some non-meat options for food so I can gradually decrease my meat consumption, so I did bought some meatless meatballs instead. But, I did make my own marinara sauce and it was delicious! Click the photo below for the recipe:





No comments:

Post a Comment

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!