Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Would my every prayer begin and end with just your name?


So, I'm going to warn you: there will be several pictures for this next post because I simply couldn't resist! I watched a movie recently that absolutely captivated me:













Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day (2008)

I confess, I had my apprehensions about the film because contemporary movies have a tendency to be depressing. But it looked so cute that I kept it on my Netflix queue and when I saw it at the library, I happily checked it out. This movie is the best new movie I've seen in a long time (and that's saying a lot because I love movies). It's funny, romantic, and beautifully done.

The basic story follows an unusual day for Miss Pettigrew, a hard-on-her-luck governess who has recently lost her job and, in a desperate moment, shows up for a job for singer Delysia Lafosse. Come to find out, Miss Lafosse is not looking for a governess, but a social secretary and soon Miss Pettigrew is juggling Delysia's love life, her career, and forming a wonderful friendship with the quirky singer.

As I said, the movie is beautifully done. The costumes, hair, makeup, and sets are lovely and delightfully period. The cast is remarkable. Every one, from Amy Adams and Francis McDormand to Shirley Henderson, Claran Hinds, and Lee Pace is fantastic and plays their part wonderfully. I cannot rave about this movie enough. I highly recommend it. I cannot wait to buy the movie and the soundtrack (oh, did I forget to mention the great score?).



1 comment:

  1. I loved it too! I thought Ms. Adams perfectly captured the essence of a classic screwball comedienne!

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!