Monday, February 13, 2012

Was you ever bit by a dead bee?

It's almost here. Almost Valentine's Day. And who better to talk about as we approach this romantical day than Bogie and Bacall?


Okay guys. It's happened. I've jumped on the Bogart and Bacall bandwagon. Took me long enough! I was nervous to try out their movies because I like happy movies and I try to stick to that. Emm over at The Stupendously Amazingly Cool World of Old TV told me that all of their movies have happy endings. So I decided to give it a try. I got To Have and Have Not from Netflix and settled down to watch it.

It was fantastic! I really enjoyed watching it just to see them together. They were so fantastic! It's so exciting to see them interact - giving each glances, looking each other up and down - even when they're not sparring with witty repartee they're fun to watch together.

One of my favorite bits in the movie was when Slim would talk to Eddie. Throughout the film, it's an interesting point that most of the characters ignore Eddie or insult him. She's the first character in the film, other than Harry, that we see treat Eddie with any kind of respect. I love the first exchange where she responds to his often repeated "Was you ever bit by a dead bee?" It's such a great scene! This scene at the end is also fantastic:



Also, can we rewind to the Golden Age for just a touch so I can chat up all of those brilliant songwriters that just happened to be hanging around. Here's Hoagy Carmichael, just being awesome:

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to the B&B club, Sally!

    I purchased a 4-movie box of Bogie/Bacall films - 'The Big Sleep','Dark Passage', 'Key Largo', and 'To Have and Have Not' - about a month ago, and watched 'Sleep' and Largo' so far...both were really cool movies! I think Bogie is pretty cool, in that for all of his 'hard-boiled' ways, his characters typically have 'flaws' that yield a more complex character. and Bacall has a unique beauty about her, like Myrna... and, honestly, Bacall has a wickedawesome mouth, and that sultry voice... yupyupyup.

    KIG, Sally!!!

    VKMfanHuey
    ---

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!