Sunday, January 10, 2010

A pretty girl is like a melody

When I wrote my list of favorite 20 actors, I had so much fun that I couldn't wait to make a list of 20 favorite actresses. And then I realized that I should stretch out the fun and let it last all year long! So, the new plan is: every month I'll feature a new list. If you like the list, then please feel free to consider yourself tagged and make your own. So below is a list of my favorite 20 actresses and my favorite of their roles. Enjoy!

Oh, and a brief disclaimer: This aren't really in any particular order. Basically, the top ones are my favorites and the bottom ones are slightly less favorite. The top 5 or 6 are my tip-top favorites (I'm numbering them so that I can keep track of how many I have).

(Also, a second brief disclaimer: Grace Kelly is not on my list, despite the photograph of her here for the simple and shameful reason that I've only seen her in 1.5 movies, same goes for Barbara Stanwyck, who I've only seen in 1 movie. I plan to remedy the situation in each, I promise!)

1. Audrey Hepburn
Funny Face and My Fair Lady


2. Ginger Rogers
Roberta and Monkey Business


3. Myrna Loy
The Thin Man and Libeled Lady


4. Claudette Colbert
Midnight and It Happened One Night


5. Cyd Charisse
The Band Wagon and Silk Stockings


6. Olivia de Havilland
The Adventures of Robin Hood and Captain Blood


7. Kathryn Grayson
Thousands Cheer and Kiss Me Kate


8. Judy Holliday
Born Yesterday and It Should Happen to You


9. Marilyn Monroe
The Seven Year Itch



10. Julie Andrews
Mary Poppins


11. Irene Dunne
The Awful Truth


13. Donna Reed
It's A Wonderful Life


14. Sandra Dee
That Funny Feeling


15. June Allyson
Two Girls and a Sailor



16. Katharine Hepburn
Bringing Up Baby


17. Shirley Temple (okay, I know she's little, but I love her!)
Little Miss Broadway


18. Ava Gardner
One Touch of Venus


19. Natalie Wood
The Great Race
20. Ruby Keeler
Footlight Parade

7 comments:

  1. Great photos! Those lists are so hard to make. For me, I think the women would be harder. I loved so many from your list- Julie, Audrey, Cyd, Ginger, Myrna, Kathryn, Judy... wait is that all of them? ;o)

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures!!! and I am in total agreement...a hard list to make with so many wonderful and pretty girls to chose from!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great list. I need to watch more old movies! Also, I really love that photo with Grace Kelly and Audrey Hepburn.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...Great photos, Sally! Of course, I am just a WEE bit biased on who is #1 on my list :-) , but that doesn't mean other actresses aren't unbelieveable as well!
    Actually, most all the ones you include are great in one way or another, but dang, there are a lot of others, too... as for not only their acting, but their " :-P factor " (hopefully that makes sense), lately I have been 'noticing' Maureen O'Hara (I'm defenseless against a Red-headed Irish Lass!), also Hedy Lamarr, Rita Hayworth, Joan Blondell, Jean Harlow, Grace Kelly, Ingrid Bergman...dang, I could go on and on! BTW, LOVE Natalie Wood...her eyes are killer! The Olivia pic is fab, as is the Irene Dunne! Donna Reed is very cute...did you know that Ginger turned down 'It's a Wonderful Life'? Well, she USUALLY had good judgement! :-]

    Thanks again for the cool pics and the 'best actresses list'...which will ultimately be pretty long, if I have anything to do with it!

    VKMfan

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I first started my blog I did a list of my favorites and I am AMAZED at what nine months of classic movie watching has done- I need to re-vamp the whole thing. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great list!! I keep kicking myself for leaving Irene Dunne off of mine...

    Ahh! You NEED to watch some Stany movies, pronto! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only two of these ladies are still alive today--Olivia de Havilland and Shirley Temple! Great picture of Olivia, by the way.

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!