Wednesday, August 18, 2010

How could ignorance be compared to bliss?

First of all, a big 'Well done!' to Mel for correctly guessing my quote of the week last week! It was from The Thin Man Goes Home. Hooray!

I'm slowly getting back into gear. I've finally caught up on reading everyone's blog posts. Hooray! Let's hope it lasts! I've decided to hold off on the 100 movies list for a little bit. I'm still hoping for a job that offers me a slightly more regular schedule. Last night, I worked until 10:30 and then had to get up this morning at 6 in order to be at work by 7:45. Yipes! I realize this isn't the worst possible schedule. In fact, I'm sure I've had worse myself. Just the same, I don't like it. I hate getting up early but I'm willing to do it if I get off early and can have my evenings free to do things: write, read, comment on blogs, write posts, watch movies, dance. I would love to get back into playing the piano. But, let's face it. That will never happen with the schedule I have now. At any rate, it's a work in progress. Hopefully I'll be able to get it all straightened out soon. In the meantime, I'm going to concentrate on 1 post a week, just until things calm down a bit more for me. The segment posts are the most fun and they offer more variety. So, here is a spotlight on a musical number:

"The Sadder But Wiser Girl" from The Music Man (1962).
(Sorry the clip is un-embeddable so I'm linking to it instead) I have memories of skipping this song when I was younger because my dad didn't approve of it. I'm not actually sure if it was true although it sounds about right. At any rate, I'm so glad I finally stopped skipping it and started listening. This song is delightful! It's so fun and funny. The words are clever and the tune is catchy. This Robert Preston at his finest (although, to be fair, the whole musical is incredible so it's kind of hard to say). About half of the songs in the movie are my favorites but this one is one of them. Have you ever found yourself going into a default mode? A default song that you get stuck in your head, a default scene that you think of all the time? Well, this song is my default whistle. If I get in the mood to whistle, I whistle the little bit that Robert Preston whistles after he says, "from what I heard..." which I know is part of the refrain. But still. This song is one of my defaults. What's your default?



I hope you enjoy it. If you have never seen this movie, go see it! It's so much fun!!

3 comments:

  1. I have actually never seen The Music Man! Need to soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE THE MUSIC MAN!!! I've probably seen it at least five million times, and that song and scene have been among my favorites since I was five. Honestly, though, I didn't realize until last year exactly what the Professor meant by "sadder but wiser." Now, although I still love it, I am a little bemused by the fact that he and Marcellus were singing the song in front of a very young Amaryllis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Francy - you definitely should. It is well worth the watch!

    Amanda - Funny thing. I was totally going to write a whole paragraph on the oddness of Amaryllis being the scene and completely forgot. It is strange, isn't it? Her presence in the scene is completely unnecessary. She doesn't really have any lines and all she does is sit there. And there's one point where Harold turns and looks at her over his shoulder as if it's just occurred to him that she's hearing all this. So, it seems as though it's on purpose. But why? I find this mind-boggling.

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!