So, now that Halloween is over, we can all turn with full excitement towards the holidays. I don't care what my best friend says, I want to listen to Christmas music now! This is when I start buying my Christmas presents and start planning what I want to spend my birthday money on. I think I know where most of what I buy myself this year will come from: the Warner Bros. Archive Collection. Have you seen it? It's glorious. I have a whole wishlist of movies I want to buy. I actually haven't even seen most of them but I really want to watch them and they're not available on Netflix. And there are actually a few that I have but I'd like to own more legally. Besides, it's so awesome that they're releasing these movies that I want to support them as much as possible. So, here's my wishlist from the wonderful site:
Movies I've seen and must own:
- The Merry Widow - It's not my favorite Maurice Chevalier film, but he's so classically Chevalier-esque in this one, it's impossible to pass up!
- Bachelor Mother - I have a copy of this one already, but I love it so much, I'd like to have it again. It's so funny!
- It's Love I'm After - I've wanted this one ever since I saw it. It's so funny. I pretty much want any Leslie Howard romantic comedy I can get my hands on. There seem to be few of them.
- Small Town Girl - I'm talking about the 1953 version with Jane Powell. I love this movie! I actually haven't seen it in years but I remember it as being very funny and very fun.
- A Damsel in Distress - I am not the world's biggest Joan Fontaine fan but I do love Fred Astaire. Plus, George and Gracie Allen alone are worth buying the film.
- The Merry Andrew - I'd really like to own this one mostly to enhance my Danny Kaye collection. I love Danny Kaye!
Movies I've yet to see:
- Meet Me In Las Vegas - I really only want this because it has "Frankie and Johnny" and I'm curious to know what context the scene has in the story.
- Athena - Vic Damone. That's really the only reason I want it.
- Hard to Get - I don't know much about this one but it has two of my favorite people in it: Olivia de Havilland and Dick Powell. I'm very curious as to how they work together.
- Having a Wonderful Time - I love Ginger Rogers and this one looks really cute!
- Rich, Young and Pretty - Again, Vic Damone.
- It's a Wonderful World - I can't get a hold of this movie anywhere but the reviews of it seem pretty stellar. It looks so funny and cute! James Stewart and Claudette Colbert - they seem so unlikely but I like the idea of it!
- Yolanda and the Thief - Ok. This one looks really weird. But it has Fred Astaire and was directed by Vincente Minelli so you know there are going to be some awesome dances in it.
- Summer Holiday - I mostly want to see this one because of Gloria de Haven. She's so gorgeous and she always gets snotty type roles. I'm hoping this one's nicer because she's so cute!
- Invitation to the Dance - I feel like any Gene Kelly fan should have the opportunity to at least watch this movie, if not own it.
- Footsteps in the Dark - Errol Flynn in a murder mystery. Errol Flynn in a murder mystery!!!
- Too Hot to Handle - Myrna Loy pushed Clark Gable off her front porch in real life. I'm very curious as to how that relationship came out on screen!
- Lovely to Look At - I really, really want this movie. But then, I think you know all about that!
So, there you have it. My Warner Archives wishlist. What's on yours? Have you seen any of the ones on mine? What did you think?