Wednesday, July 11, 2012

They asked me how I knew my true love was true

Two "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes" posts in a week might be a little much but I really do love this song. I know I'm not alone in this because there are multiple versions of it. Here are just a few examples:

Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers performing it in Roberta (1935)


Gower Champion and Cyd Charisse in Till the Clouds Roll By (1946)


Marge and Gower Champion in Lovely to Look At (1952)


I'd never say one is better than the other. I like them all, really. It's just cool to see so many interpretations of this beautiful song, don't you think? And each from a different decade.

1 comment:

  1. ...really one of the more 'underrated' songs in the 'Great American Songbook'... I've heard it sung in soprano (Irene Dunne, of course), to dang near bass by a dude - I have a cool CD of Jerome Kern tunes that are covered by folks - and it is really jsut one of 'those' songs... 'Night and Day' falls into that, as well...

    Thanks for the vids, Sally! and, have a great big Gingery weekend!!!

    VKMfanHuey
    ---

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!