Friday, July 6, 2012

You salt your beets and I'll salt mine.

This month is apparently THE month to go see old movies in theaters! At least around here, it is. Which is quite refreshing, let me tell you, because I have long been lamenting that no one around me shows old movies in theaters. I'm so glad to be proven wrong! A theater near me shows a whole bunch of movies, some older than others, during the summer lineup and this summer is proving to be a pretty good selection. Last night, I got to go see Hello Dolly! (1969).

I almost didn't go. I had plans with several girls who were all going to see it with me. I got all excited and offered to drive and we could all carpool down together. I cleaned up my car and thought about what music I'd play on the drive. I was pretty excited! Well, day of, I couldn't get a hold of anybody. The movie started at 7. I got off of work at 5:30. I was texting and tweeting people all day to try and find out who was going. As the negative responses trickled in, I realized that it was going to be a Me Party. I thought of going home instead. I decided to go anyway, just in case it was fun, and I had bought the ticket already anyway. This was no small decision for me as I didn't know where I was going and I have a horrible sense of direction and get lost all the time. Plus, I only had a quarter of a tank of gas. Yikes! When I finally got there, I didn't know where anything was or what the normal mode of operation was. I felt all self-conscious and lost and foolish.

It was so worth it! It was fun! The theater was full of people. The venue was a community theater so I think most of the people who were there were patrons and participants in the theater. They all seemed to know each other. But, the crowd was awesome. It was like I was seeing the film for the first time, even though I grew up watching it. Truth to tell, it had been years since I'd seen it so it kind of was like watching it anew. I got so many more of the jokes this time around! But it was so great to have a whole theater laughing at jokes I'd laughed at for years and have everyone applaud the scenes I love best. It was incredible. A truly remarkable experience. It was what I've always hoped and wished what watching old movies in theaters would be like - everyone falling in love with those great movies all over again!

The same theater will be showing To Catch a Thief and Night at the Opera. You can bet I'll be going to those too!

1 comment:

  1. It's great that you have the opportunity to see so many great movies in the theater. As someone who has a hard time finding places to see the classics on the big screen, I suggest anyone take every chance that they are given to see these wonderful films on the big screen.

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!