Monday, October 31, 2011

She had you there, unc!

So. It's Halloween. I confess that I'm not a huge fan of the holiday. Simply because witches, bats, spiders, and whatever is supposed to be scary isn't quite my thing. But, I absolutely love costumes! Since that's my favorite part of the holiday, here's a costume scene for your enjoyment:



By the way, fun story about this scene. Apparently, Myrna Loy originally was supposed to wear the dress that Jeanette MacDonald wears in the scene. When Myrna Loy came out look gorgeous (I mean, come on, it's Myrna Loy), Jeanette MacDonald got all nervous and demanded that she wear the dress instead! (This is why I don't like Jeanette MacDonald) So, Myrna Loy had to run down to the wardrobe department at the very last second to grab a dress. Well, turns out, she decided to go with a black one and then wear a white wig and, boy, does she look stunning in it! Myrna's friend, Lou MacFarlane said in Myrna's autobiography Being and Becoming (it's a marvelous book - I highly recommend it!), "She walked back on the set in that black dress and a powdered wig, and you didn't see anyone else in the scene. You see, all the others wore pastels--whites, pinks, things like that.[...] So if Myrna had worn the pink dress that MacDonald appropriated, she might never had made such an impact and become a star. Who knows?" I love that story. Yet another reason to absolutely love Myrna Loy.

Oh, and Happy Halloween!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!