Friday, February 12, 2010

Did you say something about scrambled eggs?


For this month's spotlight on a scene, I'd like to discuss a scene of one of my favorite on-screen couples, Nick and Nora Charles. The scene is from After the Thin Man (1936) when the couple is in bed (separated, of course). Nick is trying to fall asleep while Nora is anxious about the fate of her cousin, who is mixed up in a murder. The scene is hilarious because Nora keeps chatting to Nick and Nick keeps trying to fall asleep. I'm working through my copy on Leading Couples of the Studio Era and I finally got to William Powell and Myrna Loy. Frank Miller writes that the couple proved marriage could be "sophisticated, passionate, and fun." I think you can see some of that in this scene - the way Nora smiles at Nick, the fact that Nick sacrifices his sleep to scramble Nora some eggs, and their witty banter (particularly when they get into the kitchen). I'm embedding the scene below. I'll put two vids because the scene continues with the chase around the house. The scene begins at 5:30. Enjoy!



5 comments:

  1. I gave you an award! Details on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are too adorable. It's been forever since I've watched the Thin Mans. Thanks for such a great post!

    pixiedrivein.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait for my spring break, I will have to watch this, great post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another movie I need to see. I actually have the Thin Man recorded on DVD I just havent sat down to watch it yet. Eggs reminds me of another one of my favorite scenes - the beginning of Monkey Business with Cary Grant and Ginger Rogers

    Cary: "You know you're all right."
    Ginger; "How do you like your eggs?"
    Cary: "How did eggs get in the conversation?"
    Ginger: "Youre hungry aren't you?"

    *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!