Thursday, January 14, 2010

S is for sincerity... which she's got none of.

Poll results!

For the first poll, regarding the favorite of Clark Gable's leading ladies, the winner is...Vivien Leigh!
Out of 16 votes, she won 5 (31%). Myrna Loy followed with a close second with 4 votes (25%). Claudette Colbert had 3 (18%). And Jean Harlow and Joan Crawford tied with 2 votes each (12%).


The next poll between imitation and modernization was pretty close as well. Out of 9 votes total, 5 voted for modernization (55%) while 4 voted for imitation (44%).

Oh, and don't forget to vote for your favorite Kiss Me Kate fella in this week's poll!



Now for my spotlight on a performer. I want to talk about Kathryn Grayson today. Emma noted in her comment that Kathryn Grayson is very versatile. It's a trait that I've admired in the actress as well and I think it's worth discussing. She was in surprisingly few movies but she played completely different characters in each of them. In Kiss Me Kate (1953), she plays a tempermental ex-wife who throws pots with ease and punches Howard Keel repeatedly. In Anchors Aweigh (1945), she plays a sweet-tempered aunt whose only fervent wish is to work under Jose Iturbi. In Thousands Cheer (1943), she's a spunky young girl with a plan to make her parents make up and has a remarkable sense of humor. I've seen It Happened In Brooklyn (1947) and Show Boat (1951) once each so I cannot give much of a description of her character but I do remember that she's pretty different than the other characters I've just described. I feel Kathryn Grayson is pretty overlooked as an actress. She's memorable in all of her roles and all of her roles are different. (Not to mention, she's so stinking cute with her little nose that goes up like this and her huge dark eyes. Not only was she beautiful, she was adorable!) What do you think? Do you agree? What is your favorite Kathryn Grayson role/movie?

6 comments:

  1. Hey Sally, great site! :) I loved Anchors Aweigh, albeit for the handsome gents not Kathryn Grayson, but you are right she is beautiful and adorable! I also saw Kiss Me Kate when I was little so my memory of her there is a wee bit fuzzy, but I do remember loving the movie. :) xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love "Anchors Aweigh!" I think it may be my favorite Gene Kelly film and so much because of his and Ms. Grayson's amazing chemistry. I haven't seen "Thousands Cheer" yet, so that may be my new favorite!

    I didn't realize how few films she did but I have loved her in all the ones I've seen. She's so appealing, has an amazing voice and the biggest eyes outside of a Disney animated film.

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just stumbled upon your blog and am in complete awe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yay for Vivien Leigh! Just found your blog! Adding to my blogroll!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I agree. :)

    I like Kathryn Grayson.

    And you're right: she is beautiful AND adorable; and 'pretty much overlooked as an actress'.

    I haven't seen a lot of her movies (she an MGM girl?? I tend to avoid MGM), but I did watch SEVEN SWEETHEARTS to see Van Heflin, and she's was so lovable! I liked them together. :)

    ...

    And I like your blog!

    It's nice to meet you, by the way. :)

    I was gonna leave a comment the other day, when I first came over, to suggest some 'lighter Cagney' movies, but I think all the ones I could think of were already suggested...

    FOOTLIGHT PARADE (course I see that's your favorite Ruby Keeler movie -- I love Ruby Keeler too! -- so obviously you've already seen it)
    HERE COMES THE NAVY
    A MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM

    Did anyone mention TAXI! or BLONDE CRAZY ??

    Those are both fairly light, or half-light, half-heavy. ;)

    Ha. I prefer Hardcore Cagney, though.

    And sorry for rambling off topic. ;)

    Again, it is nice to meet you. :)

    Good write-up on Grayson!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love love love her in Showboat. She plays such a convincing ingenue that her transformation into a ballsy working mom is so much the better.

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!