Saturday, September 10, 2011

I had an uncle who laughed sometimes.

So, I got this dvd boxed set and I've been pretty addicted to one movie in the set (it was actually the main reason I bought the set) - and I've actually been kind of obsessed with one song in this one movie in this boxed set (does anyone else get like that). To the point where I haven't even really watched any of the other movies because I just keep watching the same scenes over and over again. The boxed set is: Classic Musicals from the Dream Factory, Vol. 3. The movie is: Kismet. And the song is "Stranger In Paradise."

It's such a ridiculously beautiful song. I love the melody and I love the words (okay, well, most of them). And I love Vic Damone's voice. So amazing! If you've never seen the film, I do recommend it although it's pretty hard to find right now. It's pretty crazy but it is an MGM musical and it is directed by Vincente Minneli so you can probably pretty much expect it to be crazy. I tried to find the song on YouTube but no soap. I'll just have to make do with the very odd trailer.



There's also this clip on YouTube to give you a bit more of a taste of what to expect: http://youtu.be/fmyjsg7LwlQ
I do have to say that although my hometown did not boast of very many exciting things to do and places to see, it did have a library with a pretty stellar collection of old movies, particularly musicals. When I think back now to the shelves filled with such rarities as Kismet, Two Girls and a Sailor, Born to Dance, Top Hat, The Thin Man, and The Pirates of Penzance, I must admit that I was pretty darn lucky.

No comments:

Post a Comment

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!