Wednesday, December 21, 2011

You act as though it were the only present you ever had.




Now, it's time for my Christmas movie review. There have been some great ones so far and I can't wait to post a full list on Christmas Eve!

This year, I held off on calling dibs on a movie because last year, I reserved a movie before everyone else did - and that didn't seem fair. So, this year, I waited. And, as I waited, pretty much every classic Christmas movie that I really love got snatched up! Yipes! So, after much deliberating, I decided on this classic Christmas movie.

The Thin Man (1934)

The plot, for those unlucky few who have not seen this movie, is as follows: Inventor Clyde Wynant is often mysterious, even to his daughter, Dorothy, his laywer, MacCauley, and his girlfriend, Julia. But when he doesn't return at Christmastime as he promised, Dorothy begins to worry and brings the disappearance to the attention of former sleuth, Nick Charles. When Julia is found dead in her apartment by Wynant's ex-wife, everyone is on the lookout for the mysterious man. But is he the culprit? With Nick and his glamorous wife, Nora, on the case, the case is sure to be solved - with plenty of drinking and joking around, of course!

How's that for a nutshell? Not too bad. Okay, so this movie has very little Christmas in it. But, let's be honest, a lot of my favorite Christmas movies have very little to do with Christmas: White Christmas, Holiday Inn, Christmas in Connecticut. They usually take place around Christmas, like The Thin Man but hardly depend on Christmas to carry the theme of the story. Even the quintessential Christmas movie, It's A Wonderful Life, takes place, for the most part, at times other than Christmas. It's just that the climactic portion of the film is on Christmas Eve. What do all of these films have in common though, besides time of year setting? They're such fun movies to watch! And they usually have some sort of feel-good part about them that makes them fun to watch with a mug of hot cocoa. The Thin Man, being a murder mystery, can be tricky to label as "feel-good fun" but it is!! It's so laugh-out-loud hilarious! It's absolutely delightful. It's one of my all-time favorite movies ever.

If you're still in doubt as to whether it counts as Christmas movie, here's some proof. Nick and Nora throw a Christmas party (in one of my favorite dresses worn by Nora. I want this dress!!!)

See? There's a Christmas tree and Nora's super cute candy-cane dress!!

and they play with their Christmas presents on Christmas morning. Such a funny scene!!



Check back again on Christmas Eve for a full list of Christmas posts!! For those participating, please continue to let me know when you've written yours so I can add it to the list!

2 comments:

  1. Here is my review of It's a Wonderful Life: http://fedorasandhighheels.blogspot.com/2011/12/its-wonderful-film.html

    Thank you for hosting this, Sally! I look forward to seeing all the other reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review, Sally. I agree with everything you said.

    I finally got around to writing my review of Christmas in Connecticut!

    http://noodleinahaystack.blogspot.com/2011/12/christmas-in-connecticut-1945.html

    Thanks for hosting this blogathon again - it's always so much fun.

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!