Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Gosh, your lips look delicious!

It's November! November means Fall. Fall means cold weather (except in Florida, apparently, which is where I happen to be. darnit!). And cold weather means it's appropriate to listen to "Baby, It's Cold Outside" as much as is humanly possible. And "Baby, It's Cold Outside" means Ricardo Montalban!

Today's segment: spotlight on a performer. Lately, I've been spotlighting performers celebrating their birthdays. While I love this arrangement, and would like to keep it up, there are so many wonderful performers whose birthdays won't be around for a while!

Today, I'd like to talk about a recent favorite of mine: Ricardo Montalban. I say "recent" because I didn't really discover him until this past year. I listened to my recording of "Baby, It's Cold Outside," completely ignorant of the man singing it. Anyway, when I discovered him, I was in love. A beautiful actor, he sang, he samba'd, and, though I'm not sure whether or not he shouted, "ay, caramba," he did play the piano (be still my heart!). My only complaint with him is that he did not do very many musicals. He had such a talent for them, I think it is a sad loss to what could have been. He and Cyd Charisse made a great pair. They danced together on a number of occasions.


Sadly, my favorite number of is, "Baby, It's Cold Outside," (but you could probably guess that from my introduction) which is not available on YouTube, but I've tried linking a few others in the description above. I hope they will pique your curiosity if you've never seen him before or, if you have, you will enjoy revisiting them. If you have never seen any of his musicals, I thoroughly recommend them, with a warning: the plots are not always stellar and the films are often very light. But if, like me, you enjoy that sort of thing, then don't hesitate to check them out. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I have to admit, I've yet to watch a Ricardo Montalban film the whole way through but the clips I've seen of him are quite delicious!

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember when you showed me that tight-shirted video at work. I thoroughly enjoyed it. XD

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!