Thursday, November 12, 2009

How could this happen to me, just when I'm beginning to feel like a wolf?

First off, I want to point out my newest addition to my blog: the poll located over here to the left... Please vote! I realize that the success of polls pretty depends on having enough people respond so please respond! If haven't seen all 3 films then vote for the one you have seen. Anyway, moving right along...


Time for the spotlight on a great musical number. Today, I want to talk about the Mexican Hat Dance in Anchors Aweigh (1945) with Gene Kelly and a little girl, Sharon McManus. The song is relatively short (less than four minutes) and has, basically, nothing to do with the rest of the film. Nevertheless, it's one of my favorite moments in the movie and every time I watch it, I get a surge of happiness, excitement, and longing. Honestly, if I had a chance to dance with Gene Kelly, I think I would want to dance like that: with that sort of playful abandon, just for the sheer joy of dancing. Now, I'm not saying I wouldn't want to dance like he does with Cyd Charisse in Singin' in the Rain (1952), but there is something to be said about the warmheartedness of this scene. The part where he picks her up off the fountain and they begin dancing around the courtyard and around the oddly huge candle never fails to cheer me up.


Today, it is uniquely cold here in St. Augustine. While any readers not living in Florida may scoff at my thin skin, I will confess that the drop to the 50s today has really sent me scrambling for my coat, scarf, and hat. I find this scene fitting for a cold day like today. So, grab a cup of hot cocoa, curl up, and enjoy the warmth and adorableness that is this scene:



Again, please vote in the poll. I would greatly appreciate it. Let me know what you think of the scene, of the movie, of Gene Kelly. What scene depicts best how you would dance with Gene Kelly?

3 comments:

  1. We have all dreamt of being that little girl...no? So sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, I love that! It ends so sadly though. I really like the dance he does with Judy Garland in Summer Stock and with Leslie Caron in American in Paris. Eh, I'll take just about any dance, now that I think of it!

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, I agree with you - the way he dances with Cyd in "Singin' In The Rain" - *GOSH*! Very sexy ;) ... I've also always loved the fountain scene in "An American in Paris", the dance in "On The Town" when they leave the Empire State B., and Gene and Judy's dance scenes in "For Me and My Gal"... Obviously, I can't really choose :)

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!