Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Why, you speak treason! Fluently.

Despite the fact that it is Thanksgiving week and I'm packing my bags for the long weekend whilst contemplating my three research papers, I'm going to take a small breather in order to post my weekly movie choice. So, continuing with the count-up:

#4 The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938)


Say what you will about men in tights: Errol Flynn pulls them off. I adore Errol Flynn. I think he was a beautiful and wonderful actor. Sadly, my criteria for happy endings drops a considerable amount of his classics out of the spectrum (I've avoided many), so I've really seen few of his films. I think I can just about safely say that his three most classic (and, in my opinion, greatest) films are: Captain Blood (1935), The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938), and Sea Hawk (1940) - or maybe those just happen to be the three films directed by Michael Curtiz, with scores by Erich Wolfgang Korngold, relatively similar story lines, and good-looking sidekicks (in other words, the ones with all the proper ingredients to make me like them). But, I want to know your opinion. So, my poll this week is: Which of Mr. Flynn's films do you like best? Or did I overlook your favorite?

I'm still debating whether or not I will post on Thursday. I have lately been posting every Tuesday (the 100 movie list) and Thursday (the different segments). I'm wondering if I should wait a day and post on Friday, get a head start and post tomorrow, or just go ahead and post on Thursday as I may actually have time. Anyway, we'll see. In the chance that I decide to wait until Friday, Happy Thanksgiving! I hope you all enjoy it!

And, for a Thanksgiving present: bloopers from 1938 (including #4 up above), my favorite part starts at 4:10 Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I do remember both the sidekicks being good-looking in Captain Blood and Robin Hood! I haven't seen the third film though. I also love Korngold's score - he is really the composer that set the standard for what we think of as a soundtrack.

    Loved the bloopers! Too funny!

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!