Friday, November 20, 2009

"Interesting? You know sometimes the effect Horace on people surprises me."

This week, I was given the lovely honor of being selected for the Beautiful Blogger Award. I was nominated by one of my favorite bloggers, Emma Wallace. Emma is a wonderful musician and, in her blog, she covers a new song every week (she's done some of my personal favorites like "Let's Misbehave," "Night and Day," and "Blue Skies" all the way to Disney and Sesame Street songs!), and she talks about the happy things in life - a thoroughly encouraging blog to read and my particular favorite! Thank you Emma!!

The rules for the Beautiful Blogger Award are as follows:

1) Thank the person who nominated me for this award.
2) Copy the award & place it on my blog.
3) Link to the person who nominated me for this award.
4) Tell us 7 interesting things about yourself.
5) Nominate 7 bloggers.
6) Post links to the 7 blogs I nominate.

So, now I have to think of some interesting things, which is a surprisingly difficult thing to do! I hope you find them interesting or, at the very least, mildly noteworthy.

1. I corresponded with an author, Mr. Lloyd Alexander (you may recognize him for having written The Black Cauldron, which Disney turned into a movie in 1985), for about 6 or 8 years, starting from elementary school all the way to college. Sadly, he passed away two years ago but he was a really great man, a wonderful author, and a kind pen pal.


2. My dream choice of weapon: bow and arrow. This may seem a little Robin Hood-esque of me, but I really do think that archery is such a neat and underrated sport. We did it for 2 weeks in middle school - it was the only part of gym I liked and I was sick half of the time! (of course, we did soft ball which is the bain of my existence for about a month) I now own 2 bows and some arrows and all I lack is a place to use them.


3. My mom made my dresses for junior and senior prom. Now, this may seem more of an interesting fact on my mother, but still - I got to pick out the patterns and no one at my school had the same dress!



(I'm the one on the right)



4. I'm about to graduate college! I'll graduate in December with a B.A. in English (and yes, I'm familiar with the song from Avenue Q) After graduation, I plan to get an M.F.A. in Children's Literature so that I can write children's books!



5. I love hats. I used to collect them when I was in high school. Since then, I've moved around a lot and hats are incredibly difficult to move with because they're weirdly shaped and often easily ruined. My humble collection consists of about 4 fedoras, 6 newsie caps, 3 berets, and a 20's style hat that I don't know the name of. I'm dying to get my hands on a really good top hat (a bowler hat would be nice too).


6. I love Gilbert and Sullivan operettas. My favorite is The Pirates of Penzance and my sisters and I used to reenact songs from it. (I was always Ruth whenever we sang "O, False One.")


7. I'm working on becoming a ballroom dance teacher. I love dancing. For my certification, I have to know the first 7 steps of Waltz, Foxtrot, Tango, Cha-Cha, Swing, and Rumba. I'm nearly done, which is incredibly exciting!



The 7 blogs I nominate are:
A Noodle in a Haystack
Fire and Music
Four Story Mistake
Hollywood Dreamland
L.A. La Land
Standard of the Day
Strawberry Koi

7 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! And dude, I had no idea you were into archery! Curious: what kind of bows? [Compound bows are my favs!]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! Very interesting interesting things! Love your dress and I love Lloyd Alexander!

    And thank you for the comment at the beginning.

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats!!! on winning the award! I think the next dress you need made for you is the one on the poster above...totally you!! A top hat?...hmmm?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for thinking of my blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the award! I'll try to deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the award! Those are some gorgeous prom dresses.

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!