Friday, December 18, 2009

To flirt with terpsichory!

I would do my segment on a musical number but I wrote a rather long entry on Wednesday and I think that will just about suffice for right now. Today I'm just going to post up the poll results:

To sum up: The Thin Man poll didn't have too many votes but I was still pretty surprised by the outcome. Half of the votes were for the first Thin Man movie, but Another Thin Man and Thin Man Goes Home each got a vote. So thank you to those wonderful few who voted!

The Fred and Ginger dance poll had several more votes which is nice. The results are as follows:
"Pick Yourself Up" won with 5 votes
"Never Gonna Dance" came in second with 4 votes
"Let's Face the Music and Dance" got 3 votes
"Night and Day" and "Cheek to Cheek" both got 2 votes
"The Carioca," "Hard to Handle," "Smoke Gets In Your Eyes," "Isn't This A Lovely Day," "The Piccolino," "Let Yourself Go," "Waltz in Swing Time," "They All Laughed," "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off," "Shall We Dance," and "Bouncing the Blues" all got 1 vote each.
"I Won't Dance (Reprise)" and "The Continental" didn't get any votes. The latter rather surprises me because it won an Oscar for Best Song. I'm not sure if the lack of votes has to do with the duo getting better in their later movies or the fact that the dance is about 10 minutes long with only 2 or 3 minutes dedicated to Fred & Ginger. Thoughts?

There's another poll up so don't forget to vote: would you pick the Crooner or the Comic in White Christmas?

3 comments:

  1. Sorry I'm late to the party; had I known about this wonderful blog, I would've voted for "Isn't This A Lovely Day" -- pure Astaire & Rogers bliss. (Though "Pick Yourself Up" also has its charms.)

    I too am a fan of classic Hollywood, and cordially invite you and your readers to visit my blog, "Carole & Co." (named for Carole Lombard, my all-time favorite actress). She's the focal point, as we examine Lombard's life and times, but also cover other things regarding the Golden Age. We've been up for more than 30 months, with over 1,000 entries, 140 members (as of this writing) and all sorts of images of Carole and people she knew and worked with. I think you'll enjoy dropping by. Please check us out at

    http://community.livejournal.com/carole_and_co/

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was hard to vote for just one favorite F&G dance number because each one has a charm all their own...the sultriness of "Face the Music" and the playfulness of "Isn't This a Lovely Day" are uniquely enjoyable...I like them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I think of "The Continental" I think of endless matching dancers and very little Fred and Ginger. I personally like their more whimsical ones but "Never Gonna Dance" is my favorite tragic one! *Sniff*
    Great poll!

    iamemmamusic.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!