Friday, May 28, 2010

Genteel dancing and high class patter

1. Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers


Favorite dance? Quite frankly, I have about ten. Every time I list my top 3 favorites of theirs, I remember another one that's right up there too. At the end of the post, I've embedded a movie I made a couple of years ago that highlights some of my favorite moments.

Fred and Ginger. They were so classy, so elegant, so fun. They were beautiful, graceful, and somehow sexy (even though some have mentioned that their dancing had nothing to do with sex, which is a fair argument). With their dancing, they could meet and fall in love,


they could joke around and have fun,


they could cover every aspect of romance effortlessly and believably.


They're dancing was so flawless that they made it look like anyone could do it, and yet you could imagine the hours of rehearsal that went into their art. I'd say that I could go on and on about them but it often seems harder to put the right words into praising your absolute favorites. They were incredible, amazing. And they are my favorites. I have about 8 of their movie posters and 10 photographs. I have 2 books and all of their movies. It's not a terribly impressive collection compared to others, I'm sure, but it's what I've got and I'm immensely proud of it.

Before I move on to the video and close this little post up, I want to briefly discuss the poll I posted up on my blog a few weeks ago. I posted the poll after discussing the matter with my sister who stated that she always preferred Fred and Ginger in the supporting roles like Follow the Fleet and Roberta. In those roles, they seem to have more fun, goof off a bit more, and get the wisecracking lines. Whereas in the primary roles, they spend a good portion of the film being sad and frustrated. The only problem with them in secondary roles, that I find, is that we don't get to see very much of them. I, for one, don't really care much about what happens to John and Stephanie or Bilge and Connie. I'm much more interested in their witty friends. Whereas in the starring roles, we get to concentrate on Fred and Ginger; but, we don't get to see them joking around and having quite as much fun. It's a good argument either way and I find I'm quite torn on the matter. Your thoughts?

And now, without further ado, here is the aforementioned video: I hope you enjoy it! The music is performed by the incomparable Emma Wallace (who just came out with a stellar new cd! You should all go buy it!! - One of the songs, by the way, is called "Fred Astaire" which ties in beautifully to my current subject!)

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful post! I love that fact that the little dance at the end of Top Hat was kind of improvised! Also, the "Fine Romance" scene in Swing Time. A convertible in winter? I know it wasn't snowing in the city but its still cold!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My personal favorite comes from "Shall We Dance" (Mark Sandrich, 1937) with the brillant dance on roller skate on "Let's Call The Whole Thing Off".

    His RKO musicals will never get old.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...generally, ANY GandF is better than none... but the 'support' roles are quite interesting, since they tend to be more 'carefree' and ultimately are aiding the 'main characters' in their sagas... when GandF ARE the 'saga', it is obviously great, but can be 'frustrating' at times, since they take the whole movie to finally 'click' together, although they can rip off 2 or 3 devastating dance routines in the process, and still not connect...

    And, killer video! When it starts off with probably my favorite scene... they are shuffling down the stairs arm in arm and they just do a few twirls at the end... love that clip! and great 'synching' of the dance w/ the tune... one of these years I REALLY want to try doing that... there are plenty of tunes where I can 'envision' a GandF video for it!

    Hope you have a great weekend, Sally!

    Keep It Gingery!

    VKMfan
    ---

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!