Wednesday, March 17, 2010

What kind of an Irish lad is it who can sit here...

...while the fiddlers are fiddlin', the pipers are pipin', and the cottagers smilin' as if it were their weddin' night!

Happy St. Patrick's Day!! Order of business for today: I'm going to discuss one of my favorite dancers (#7!) and then list some of my favorite Irish-inspired songs in movie history.

7. Donald O'Connor
Favorite dance: "Make 'Em Laugh" from Singin' in the Rain



I was very happy to see that Mr. O'Connor was up next on the list, just in time for St. Patrick's Day - how perfect is that? I love Donald O'Connor. He had a genius blend of class and humor to his dancing. I could go on and on about Donald O'Connor, but I already have relatively recently. You can read the post here. I'll also link to my favorite of his dances (I tried to embed it but was unable to). Most of you have seen it already but it's always worth a rewatch. You can view it here.

To make up for not being able to embed Mr. O'Connor's video, I'll post another cool photo of him.



Unfortunately, I'm working most of the day and I'm going to have to work hard to fit some green into my outfit so as to avoid being pinched. To make up for it, I'm going to celebrate the holiday with wonderful scenes that will, hopefully, put us all in a fine, Irish mood!


"The Hat My Father Wore"

this song makes me feel happy and emotional (and Irish!) all at the same time!

"Fortuosity" (I get this song stuck in my head all the time!)

"Fortuitious little happy happenstances" - only the Sherman brothers! I love them!


and I would be horribly remiss to not include a couple of Quiet Man scenes, but they won't let me embed, so here they are:
Cottage kiss
Maureen O'Hara speaking in Irish

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, Donald O'Connor's routine is probably my favorite of all time. It is so brilliant crafted and performed. A quintessential movie moment!!! Happy Patty's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! Donald O'Connor always makes me smile!

    Haha, I was thinking about that Gene Kelly number earlier today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Everytime I come here, I really do learn something new. I had no idea who that handsome man was from Singin' In the Rain!

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!