Thursday, April 8, 2010

Now he's got a smile that he can't lose


I've thought about it, and I've decided not to write a spotlight on Errol Flynn today. I'll explain why and post lots of yummy Errol photos to make up for it:

When I started my daily posts in March, I realized that I was having an extremely fun time writing every day. Long before March, well December, I'd decided to make a monthly list such as favorite dancers, favorite couples, favorite dancing couples, favorite singers, and so on because lists are fun to write. Now, I realize that I already wrote my favorite leading men list in December so I was thinking that next December, I'll make another one but write a daily post about each. This will keep me from repeating myself unnecessarily. You all know my obsessions, but that doesn't mean you have to read about them every time I'm obsessing.


All this to say, I think I'm going to do away with the spotlight on a performer segment. It just doesn't make sense in my new blogging format. It's overkill. So, I'd like to switch it out with a new segment, something that I've been thinking was blog-worthy for quite some time. I was going to write one post on the subject, outlining five favorites, but as I ticked off examples to myself, I realized I have well over twenty. Each segment generally gets featured once a month, approximately. Which means that I have enough to talk about for well over a year if I use this new segment. Plus, I'm pretty sure that I have a good amount of list ideas, at least enough to take me to the end of the year. Do you want to know what the new segment is? I'm kind of excited about it.


The new segment is going to feature Fun Times. Have you ever had it when you're watching a movie and you think, "they look like they're having so much fun!" I think that's a noteworthy thought. I know I've written that in this blog several times. It's a feeling that keeps me watching movies (one of many). When we think that, we end up living vicariously through the characters on the screen, fervently wishing we could join the fun but knowing deep down that we already have, in a way.


Now, ironically, one of the moments that made me think this and made me start thinking of blogging about this is not a movie moment but a music one. But I think you will all agree that it is appropriate to film when I share it with you. So, this is my first Fun Times segment post. I hope you enjoy it and please let me know what you think of the new plan!!

The song is "Black Strap Molasses" and is sung by Groucho Marx, Jimmy Durante, Jane Wyman, and Danny Kaye. I absolutely love this song! It's on my happy playlist. It's so much fun!! I don't know how it was recorded, but I like to imagine the four of them in a recording studio, laughing it up between takes. I love that they get to throw in their own individual style - Groucho goes "wah-wah" semi-randomly in the background, Danny Kaye does some of his wacky scatting, and Durante even throws in an "Inka-Dinka-Doo!" The song is totally silly and it makes me smile every time. So, take a listen and tell me what you think!

2 comments:

  1. What a fun idea, can't wait to see your new segment! Yay Errol Flynn, I adore him! Haha don't worry, I think when I'm really obsessed with someone or something, I tend to repeat myself and blog about it like twenty different ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very, very impressive. you did good job, Actually I found this article when looking for something stupid in google.
    I just found this post in google. This website has a great theme also Nevermind, thank you for your knowledge. I'm gonna visit this blog often

    ReplyDelete

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!