Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Pour me one too.



Okay, so full disclosure here: this is a project I posted about on a different blog that I started and I'm taking that post and using it here. The reason is that I had planned to make these again for the sake of this blog post/as a gift for a friend - and I ran out of time. So, here is the craft for this week: movie quote coasters. Or as I like to call them, Quotesters. Some day, maybe, I'll open a little Etsy shop with these little guys. It'll be great. When I have the time.




So this project was born from me wanting to give my brother a gift but having no idea what to make for him. My brother isn't quite as obsessed with old movies as I am but we grew up in the same household and he likes them a great deal too. And we share a common love for The Thin Man (1934) with William Powell and Myrna Loy. My brother one time pointed out that if you drank every time Nick and Nora drink, you'd be wasted by the end of the film. We actually did try that one time - I drank in sips though, not shots, so I remained (mostly) sober. Anyway. We both like The Thin Man. I had seen a tutorial on making coasters from family photographs, so, I decided to take pictures from the movie and put in quotes about drinking, since there are so many, and he could use those as cool cocktail coasters.


It's a very easy project. You get those little 4x4 tiles at Lowe's, Mod Podge, a sponge, and the pictures of your choice. You Mod Podge the pictures to the tiles and then add three layers of Mod Podge over the pictures themselves. It is a trifle time consuming because you have to wait 15 minutes between each coat. And then the tutorial recommends leaving them for 3 days to allow the sealant to completely dry so that no liquid seeps in.  I used canva.com to make the pictures with the quote bubbles. Oh, and you'll want those little felt stickers at the bottom to keep them from scraping up your furniture or the other coasters. I was able to get a pack of little ones at Walmart that are generally used for lamps and things. 


I have to admit, they turned out really well. I am pretty darn proud of them. I learned after doing this project a couple more times, that it's also good to spray clear spray paint over them. Otherwise, they can be a little sticky.




The one below and the three shown above are the designs I used for the coasters:




The ones below were designs I made but didn't make the cut to become coasters:




No comments:

Post a Comment

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!