Wednesday, November 15, 2017

Where's Waldo (Way Back Wednesday)


So, one of the reasons I decided to go with a Way Back Wednesday theme is I was telling Kat about how there are several blog posts that I've written and am quite proud of. And how I kind of wish I could bring them back as part of the discussion, so she suggested this.

The post I'm going to talk about today is one I may likely bring up a few times. It's one of my favorite classic movie experiences ever.

Seven years ago, I made a list of favorite male dancers. #10, I wrote, was this background dancer that I had watched for years and had finally discovered the name of: Bert May. He's seriously in everything, from The Thin Man Comes Home to Hello, Dolly! to The Music Man and Mary Poppins. He's incredible. And you can tell he was sensational because they kept giving him dancing solos.



Here are a few songs with him:


So, I wrote this whole blog post about how wonderful he was. First, his niece commented, which was incredible. Then, he commented. Bert May commented on my blog! And he wrote a super sweet, gracious comment:

WALDO FOUND!
When I was shown the Postings associated with my name, I was pleasantly surprised. Glowing words from loving relatives and close friends might be expected; but the heartwarming, kind comments by movie super-sleuths like you who masterfully tracked me down was overwhelming. Sally - I shall wear the number Fifteen as a Badge Of Honor and with Pride. Nowadays however, like Waldo, I am happy to remain in the "background" and out of the spotlight.
BERT MAY

I'd love to meet him and do an interview some day. I'm so intrigued. Were the dancers under contract like the other movie stars were? Who were the best choreographers, movie stars, directors to work with? Does he watch his movies now? So many questions. In the meantime, I'll revel in the amazing fact that someone I admire reached out to me and said hello.


No comments:

Post a Comment

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!