Sunday, November 26, 2017

We have no bananas today

Okay, my friends. I'm going to level with you. Don't I always? This blog challenge has been very difficult. The blogging every day wasn't so bad... but my plan to blog every day, sew two new pieces, cook 2 new meals, 1 dessert, 1 cocktail, make 3 crafts, work full time, sleep, spend time with friends and family, celebrate a holiday, and prepare for my birthday... well, that got a little overwhelming.

I went over to visit my mom yesterday with plans to sew a new piece and finish another so I could channel my inner Jane Powell:



The skirt was nearly done and I had the pattern, the fabric, and thread, and the buttons for the shirt. But I drove to my mom's house and realized I had clean forgotten the skirt at home. And my mom and I spent a good half hour or so trying to figure out if we could use the fabric I had brought for the shirt. It turns out the fabric I had brought was not the right fabric at all. In the end, we didn't sew it at all - which is just as well - and instead we spent some quality time just talking about stuff: sewing, crafts we want to make, relationships, cooking, cakes, physics, work, food. It was a great evening!

No sewing was done at all and my mom told me that it was perfectly acceptable to say that this project was too difficult and not have an outfit post today. I decided to meet that halfway. This challenge is too difficult - I kind of figured it would be. The whole purpose of this project had been to sort of go overboard on the blogging and figure out what worked, what I liked, what I didn't like. I still wanted to do an outfit post today, so I'm going to do just that - but it's all pieces I had in my closet.

Here is the look I'm inspired by today:



Sigh. Audrey Hepburn. She's just the coolest. Look how effortlessly she wears that side-tucked shirt. Here's how my outfit turned out:



Do I look just like her? Nah. Is it comfortable and convenient? Not particularly. But the thing is (and I've thought about this a lot) Audrey Hepburn is Audrey Hepburn. She could wear something completely ridiculous or unflattering - and she's still Audrey Hepburn. She's still timeless, chic, classic. There's also something to be said for the haze of time. So many things look super cool in older pictures but you try them out today and they look costumey or over-the-top.



I shall continue posting this week but I will probably continue to bend the rules (maybe even every day) until the end of this month. There will be no set theme this week. Just some odds and ends. On Thursday, I'll discuss where this blog will go in the future. Thank you for sticking with me throughout this blogging adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!