Thursday, November 2, 2017

I can see the sun up high, though we're caught in a storm

Today's Spotlight will feature a Spotlight on a Musical Number: "Isn't This A Lovely Day (To Be Caught In the Rain)?" from Top Hat.

I confess, I didn't like this scene for years. Ginger's jodhpurs weren't the pretty dresses I preferred and the dance sequence felt too long. So, growing up, I usually skimmed this scene or skipped it altogether.




Now? I love it. I love the tempo change midway through the dance, I love the way Ginger copies Fred's moves at the beginning of it, I love the way they whirl around the bandstand. I love seeing her fall in love with him over the course of the song.





This is what I love about musicals. I love that so much can happen in the course of a song. The song almost transcends time - it doesn't matter that the scene is less than 10 minutes long. They experience the whole beginning of a relationship in those few minutes. And, to me, it feels real. Because the song and dance acts are almost symbolic in the way they transport characters through emotions and relationships.




What are your thoughts on this song? Love it? Don't care for it? Neutral?

Watch the song here:





No comments:

Post a Comment

To reduce comment spammers, I've had to start moderating the comments. Thank you for understanding! I can't wait to approve your comment and engage in classic movie discussion!